Hitcents announced the release of RASHLANDER, a physics-loaded lunar lander roguelike combining neo-retro design with classic arcade challenge, on Steam for Windows PC. In the game, players can slingshot from landing pads to fuel platforms, avoid interstellar debris, and discover a dense network of game-changing upgrades.
Though just released on Steam, RASHLANDER has been available on physical arcade cabinets through Griffin Aerotech. The game is in arcade cabinets from Indianapolis to Japan, with one arcade owner describing it as “a neo-retro game NOT for the faint of heart. Let Rashlander’s gravity, pull you in by your nostalgic heartstrings.”
Inspired by arcade classics such as Lunar Lander and Asteroids, as well as neo-retro games like Downwell, RASHLANDER’s controls are simple, pure, and easy-to-learn. Successful gameplay relies heavily on a ton of skill. The procedurally generated levels force players to build ability instead of learning set patterns, paving the way for more challenging experiences and truly triumphant wins. Luckily, players discover a dense network of game-changing upgrade systems and life-giving fuel stations—all while attempting to achieve the highest score in this skill-based, physics-stuffed tribute to the golden era of arcades.“Rashlander offers a modern arcade experience to hardcore gamers. It seems so simple, but it hooks you in for hours and hours of increasing complex play,” said Jordan Taylor, studio head at Hitcents. “It’s indie developers like Ryan Davis that are always trying to infuse something new into tried-and-true video gameplay, and end up creating a classic of their own.”Features:
- Upgrade system: Players can utilize a dense network of upgrades as they play, adding flavorful twists to the gameplay with each upgrade.
- Secrets: There are numerous secrets for players to discover from abilities and alternate paths to as-yet-unconfirmed time travel.
- Twitch integration: Streamers can take advantage of Twitch integrated gameplay featuring viewer driven events, chat meta games, and chat members appearing as helpers or enemies in-game.
- Score tables: Daily High-Score tables appeal to speedrunners and high-score-chasers.
- Impactful visual style: Minimalistic and beautiful art design includes wonderfully contrasting color schemes and dynamic shadow effects.
- Professional soundtrack: The soundtrack features synthesized, beat-heavy bops by Fat Bard, whose prior compositions appear in work for Disney, WB Games, and Butterscotch Shenanigans. The soundtrack perfectly aligns with the frenzied emotions evoked as players progress.
- Game StoryAfter not quite seeing eye-to-eye with an all-powerful global entity known as GovCorp, a small team of terraforming researchers are forced to flee Earth in a hastily-prepared escape rocket. Things are a little less than ideal, however. Navigating a ship equipped with a highly explosive plutonium core nestled in the nose and a perpetually low fuel supply can get a little squirrelly. You’ll need to skillfully slingshot around levels—dodging interstellar debris, scraping past gravity-heavy asteroids, and avoiding GovCorp drones—to successfully crash-land onto the goal-marked warp pads. Careful though, you’ll want to land your ship feet-first unless you’re a fan of incinerating your entire crew in super-explodey collisions.