Few dates could be more fitting to launch an exciting new entry in the survival-horror genre than October 31st: Home to the world-famous Pagan ode to all things eerie, Halloween is the logical starting point for Song of Horror – the fresh new take on the survival horror adventure heading straight for Steam on Windows at the end of the month.
Taking a thrilling paranormal story and throwing in permadeath to give proceedings just a touch more edge, Song of Horror is the story of the famed but now elusive writer Sebastian P. Husher – a man who, along with his entire family, has gone missing without rhyme or reason.
Into this mystery steps the player, taking on any one of 13 different characters in order to piece together Husher’s final steps and apparent demise, all while encountering a string of events that lift the lid on something truly dreadful: a nameless, dark entity known only as The Presence.
When each character dies, they die for good, with those next in line picking up the story and making progress where they left off, but this time from an entirely new perspective. This is all while the player attempts to deal with The Presence – a foe controlled by A.I. that learns from the player’s play style and positively adapts the counter it.
“The Presence watches the player,” offers Carlos Grupeli, founder of Protocol Games, the studio behind Song of Horror. “As the player enters The Presence’s territory, it responds to the intrusion and continues to respond in answer to the player’s actions. However, even if you do exactly the same thing, it will respond differently. You have no control over it because it plays by its own rules. The fun part of testing this game – even though we’ve played it about 400 times – is that sometimes even now the damn thing still manages to scare us.”
Split into multiple episodes – with the first two available on launch day – Song of Horror brings a fresh approach to the survival horror genre, offering a world that’s constantly adapting to your every move, keeping you on your toes and – for this Halloween and quite possibly the next – filling your every fibre with fear.
In Song of Horror, you will: –
- Investigate a paranormal mystery wrapped up in a story of psychological horror.
- Tangle with The Presence, an otherworldly entity with its own adaptive A.I. that reacts to your actions and decisions to deliver an unscripted, unpredictable slice of horror.
- Choose between a group of unique characters, each one bringing their own point of view to play with a different relationship with both the story and other characters.
- When characters die, they die for good, but the horror continues…
- …with the investigation picked up by a new character, tackling the story from a unique perspective, but one affected by their predecessor’s actions.
- Explore haunted, sinister locations to gather clues to piece together the mystery behind the missing Sebastian P. Husher.
Song of Horror will launch on Steam For Windows on October 31st published by Raiser Games and developed by Protocol Games, with Episodes 1 and 2 available on day one and further episodes to come.