The highly-anticipated return of Samurai Shodown®, the predecessor of the weapons-based, versus fighting game genre, returns to consoles! Marking the first release in the franchise since 2008 and over 25 years since the release of the original, Samurai Shodown returns with its signature, unforgiving approach to weapons-based combat. This new Samurai Shodown “reboot” features a returning cast of 13 fan-favorite characters and 3 brand new characters.
Along with the traditional Versus Battle Mode, Samurai Shodown offers a range of modes for players to sink their blades into, including:
- Practice Mode: Players can learn the ropes in a tutorial and hone their skills in training mode.
- Online Mode: Friends and foes alike can battle online in a variety of competitive modes.
- Story Mode: Players can witness each character’s unique journey through 18th century Edo-period Japan as a new disaster threat looms over the land.
- Battle Mode: Host to a variety of challenges including Versus, Time Trial, Survival and Gauntlet modes, players looking to test their skills will be pushed to the limit here.
- Dojo Mode: After enough matches have been played, players can compete against their own ghost, other players’ ghosts, and then share their ghost data to online leaderboards.
In addition to the launch, SNK are pleased to outline their ongoing commitment to the franchise as an emerging competitor in the esports scene with Samurai Shodown’s upcoming inclusion at the Evolution Championship Series, the largest and longest-running fighting game tournaments in the world. EVO brings together the best of the best from around the world in a dazzling exhibition of skill and fun, as players and fans gather to honor the competitive spirit in an open format and determine a champion.
“We have been overwhelmed by the positivity of our fans over the past several months and would like to thank each and every one of them for making the return of the franchise come to fruition,” said SNK Lead Producer, Yasuyuki Oda. “Further to today’s launch on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, we’re now looking forward to being part of the Evolution Championship series this August and we could not be happier to be part of one the biggest competitive fighting game events in the world. Please expect to hear more from us in the coming months regarding our future plans for esports and Samurai Shodown!”