Railway Empire, ‘Transcontinental’ content update available for free
Railway Empire just got bigger and better…for free! Kalypso Media and Gaming Minds Studios are excited to announce the release of the free Transcontinental Content Update for the Steam version of Railway Empire, introducing a host of new features to the hit rail tycoon simulator inspired by the feedback and requests of the game’s dedicated fans.
The headline feature of the new update is the additional of the new Transcontinental North American Map to the ‘Free’ and ‘Sandbox’ modes, which will finally allow tycoons the ability to expand their empire from coast to coast across the entire country on one eye-wateringly massive map. Players will also be able to play a full 100-year campaign with the new Centennial Era option, allowing you to research and develop all available locomotives in a single game and span 100 years of progress with a newly balanced tech tree and dynamic market system that introduces new goods and commodities over time. The update also includes a range of other fixes and improvements, details of which can be seen in the full changelog.
The Transcontinental Content Update is just one part of Kalypso’s future plans for Railway Empire. The developers at Gaming Minds Studios are already hard at work on further free updates, which will include a random map generator, enhanced AI, X-crossings and other improvements inspired by player feedback – details of which will be announced in due course, along with updates for the console versions.
About Railway Empire
In Railway Empire, you will create an elaborate and wide-ranging rail network, purchase over 40 different trains modelled in extraordinary detail, and buy or build railway stations, maintenance buildings, factories and tourist attractions to keep your travel network ahead of the competition. You’ll also need to hire and manage your workforce if you want to ensure an efficient train service, whilst also develop over 300 technologies ranging from mechanical improvements to the trains themselves to workplace infrastructures and advanced amenities as you progress through five eras of technological innovations.
However, you can’t just build and research your way to the top – the competition never sleeps, and to keep your business on track you’ll have to survive against up to three rival tycoons. To get to the top you may have to resort to more cutthroat tactics as you attack and sabotage your opponents through raids and industrial espionage.
Features of Railway Empire
- Exploit the economic opportunities of the United States in an extensive campaign, working your way step by step from coast to coast across this great continent.
- Lead your Railway Empire to success by establishing a comprehensive rail network and optimizing transportation of passengers and goods.
- Master challenges and objectives through a range of scenarios, or create your perfect railway network in construction mode without any financial pressure.
- Over 40 historically accurate locomotives and more than 30 different wagons can be acquired over the course of the game, and must be put to use in the best way in order to take advantage of their strengths and weaknesses.
- Invest in over 300 new technologies across five different eras to progress and maximize the potential of your rail network.
- Compete with up to three rival companies, and even sabotage their efforts with the use of bandits and spies.
Railway Empire is available now worldwide digitally on Windows and Linux PCs, and in both physical and digital editions on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One across the UK and export territories.